Star Alliance member United is currently selling its nonstop flights between the UK and the USA at a very low price. You can fly to New York from London, Glasgow, and Edinburgh for only £266 (~€310). If you’re willing to pay £303 (~€353), you can also fly to California from London. The availability is high in May, June, and September.
Worldwide travel restrictions are in place to slow the spread of Covid-19. We strongly recommend gathering detailed information about the travel and quarantine restrictions that apply to your desired origin and destination.
A good start is the International Air Transport Association (IATA) website. It provides current updates on a country’s immigration policies. Even better, the Covid-19 Travel Regulations Map is one of the most useful tools you can find.
These are United’s nonstop routes:
- Glasgow – New York: £266 (~€310)
- Edinburgh – New York: £268 (~€312)
- London – New York: £269 (~€313)
- London – San Francisco: £303 (~€353)
- London – Los Angeles: £311 (~€362)
These tickets all include one carry-on of up to 8 kg. You’ll also be served a meal & drinks. Booking the basic fare, which includes a piece of luggage, would cost roughly £90 (~€105) more.
We expect further shakeups in the airline industry over the following months. Some services might be cancelled, aircraft changed or downgraded. The schedule we describe may very well change.
By the way, we also offer some more deals from Great Britain:
Search & Book
To get these prices, your trip needs to include a Sunday. You also need to depart from Monday to Wednesday (or Thursday on the inbound flight). The availability is high in May, June, and September. You can find the exact availability on Google Flights. You can then book the flights directly on Lufthansa’s website.
The tickets are issued in booking class K. A flights from Glasgow to New York would get you:
- 4,830 Avios on Aer Lingus AerClub
- 3,220 Miles on Asiana Club
- 3,220 Miles on Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles
- 3,220 Award Miles + 644 Tier Miles on Azul TodoAzul
- 3,220 Miles on Copa ConnectMiles
- 3,220 Miles on Ethiopian ShebaMiles
- 3,220 Miles on EVA Infinity MileageLands
- 3,220 Points on SAS EuroBonus
- 3,220 Miles on Thai Royal Orchid Plus
- 3,220 Miles on Avianca LifeMiles
- 3,220 Miles on Aegean Miles+Bonus
- 3,220 Miles on Egyptair Plus
- 1,932 Miles on ANA Mileage Club
- 1,610 Miles on Miles&More
- 1,610 Award Miles + 322 PQP on United MileagePlus
- 1,610 Award Miles + 120 Points on Miles&More 2024
- 1,610 Miles on Singapore KrisFlyer
- 1,610 Miles on TAP Miles&Go
- 1,610 CV Points on Vistara Club Vistara
- 1,610 Miles on Air Canada Aeroplan
- 1,610 Award Miles on Emirates Skywards
Should you fly to California, the number of miles would be higher. Here is an example for a roundtrip from London to Los Angeles:
- 8,164 Avios on Aer Lingus AerClub
- 5,444 Miles on Asiana Club
- 5,444 Miles on Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles
- 5,444 Award Miles + 1,088 Tier Miles on Azul TodoAzul
- 5,444 Miles on Copa ConnectMiles
- 5,444 Miles on Ethiopian ShebaMiles
- 5,444 Miles on EVA Infinity MileageLands
- 5,444 Points on SAS EuroBonus
- 5,444 Miles on Thai Royal Orchid Plus
- 5,444 Miles on Avianca LifeMiles
- 5,444 Miles on Aegean Miles+Bonus
- 5,444 Miles on Egyptair Plus
- 3,266 Miles on ANA Mileage Club
- 2,722 Miles on Miles&More
- 2,722 Award Miles + 544 PQP on United MileagePlus
- 2,722 Award Miles + 120 Points on Miles&More 2024
- 2,722 Miles on Singapore KrisFlyer
- 2,722 Miles on TAP Miles&Go
- 2,722 CV Points on Vistara Club Vistara
- 2,722 Miles on Air Canada Aeroplan
- 2,722 Award Miles on Emirates Skywards
Information & Tips for USA
The USA offers many sights, natural wonders and cultural significance. Thanks to numerous airlines offering flights across the Atlantic, it is always pretty inexpensive to get there. Alternatively, you can also cross the Atlantic by boat.
Immigration, ESTA & Visa Requirements
The USA has one of the strictest entry regulations in the world. Most EU citizens, among others, are lucky to be able to participate in the so-called Visa Waiver Program. If you get an electronic entry permit (ESTA) for approximately €20, you don’t need a visa for entry.
The Best Time to Visit
Due to its sheer size, the perfect time to visit the USA varies greatly from region to region. In winter, Florida is very popular due to the mild temperatures. In the summer the West and East Coasts are flooded by tourists which drives up the prices for hotels and flights and during the Indian Summer in late autumn New England is a very popular destination. The hurricane season between July and September can be dangerous in the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico. Florida and the southern states are regularly struck by these tropical storms. Blizzards occur from the East Coast to the Midwest during the winter months and regularly put air traffic and public life on hold.
The US dollar is widely used throughout the world and accepted as a currency in most tourist hotspots worldwide. That being said, carrying cash isn’t necessary in the US, all you need is a credit card! These are very common in the USA and are accepted pretty much everywhere without any issues. If you already have a credit card in your wallet, you should make sure that it does not charge a foreign currency fee if possible. Carrying a few dollars in cash doesn’t hurt though. You might need cash e.g. for the bus ticket if you want to buy it directly from the driver. Most of the time you even have to give exact change.
Finding the Best eSIM Plan
We’ve compared various eSIM providers, such as Knowroaming and Ubigi. To see which plan is best for your travel needs, and which network offers the best coverage, feel free to read our detailed guide:
→ All Dealz for USA