Oneworld member British Airways currently has a marvellous offer running for business class open jaws. When flying from various European cities to the USA and flying back from the USA to Spain, you can price out well below €1,500. The cheapest example takes you from Berlin to New York and back from Seattle to Barcelona for just €1,280.
To get this fare, you will have to combine an itinerary like this:
- [European Airport] – [American Airport] | [American Airport] – [Spanish Airport]
We have been able to find the following examples:
- Berlin – New York | Seattle – Barcelona for €1,280
- Hamburg – New York | Miami – Barcelona for €1,295
- Munich – New York | San Francisco – Madrid for €1,310
- Stuttgart – New York | Toronto – Valencia for €1,321
- Cologne/Bonn – New York | Dallas – Madrid for €1,324
- Dublin – New York | Seattle – Madrid for €1,328
- Hamburg – New York | Cincinnati – Madrid for €1,341
- Hamburg – New York | Los Angeles – Madrid for €1,345
- Dublin – New York | Miami – Barcelona for €1,350
- Frankfurt – New York | Chicago – Madrid for €1,371
- Stockholm – Miami | New York – Madrid for €1,378
- Stockholm – New York | San Francisco – Barcelona for €1,404
- Hamburg – New York | Calgary – Madrid for €1,415
- Riga – New York | Seattle – Madrid for €1,423
- Vilnius – New York | Pittsburgh – Madrid for €1,423
- Vilnius – New York | Cincinnati – Madrid for €1,424
- Tallinn – New York | Chicago – Madrid for €1,428
- Helsinki – New York | Miami – Barcelona for €1,438
- Tirana – New York | Chicago – Madrid for €1,443
- Tallinn – New York | San Jose – Barcelona for €1,453
- Helsinki – New York | Cleveland – Madrid for €1,466
- Lisbon – Dallas | New York – Madrid for €1,469
- Tirana – New York | Los Angeles – Barcelona for €1,478
- Athens – New York | Seattle – Barcelona for €1,482
You don’t necessarily have to fly to/from two different American cities. Using the same airport twice is also possible, e.g.:
- Berlin – New York – Barcelona for €1,287
- Dublin – Miami – Barcelona for €1,325
- Budapest – New York – Madrid for €1,335
- Dublin – San Francisco – Madrid for €1,374
- Budapest – Los Angeles – Barcelona for €1,379
- Budapest – Houston – Barcelona for €1,379
- Dublin – Seattle – Madrid for €1,385
- Stockholm – Miami – Barcelona for €1,389
- Lisbon – New York – Barcelona for €1,405
- Riga – New York – Madrid for €1,417
- Lisbon – Dallas – Madrid for €1,469
- Tallinn – Chicago – Madrid for €1,478
- Athens – New York – Madrid for €1,491
You can use our Go2 form to find more flights. It will forward you to British Airways’ website. You might have to scroll a bit to find the desired fare. Flights are available from January through April 2024.
All itineraries consist of a Club Europe (=BA’s European business class) to London or Madrid and a lie-flat transatlantic flight to the USA, operated by either British Airways, Iberia, or American Airlines.
The inbound can start from basically any point in the United States. Most connections will again lead you to London in British Airways’ long-haul business class (including the Club Suite). You can also fly directly to Madrid or Barcelona in American or Iberia business class.
We have been able to find business class inbound flights from the following airports:Error: 429
Even if American Airlines doesn’t enjoy a good reputation for many, its business class is very good. Every seat has direct access to the aisle and the service, as well as the food and the seat, are at a very high standard. Travel-Dealz founder Johannes tested the Boeing 777 and really enjoyed the flight.
British Airways was the first airline to offer lie-flat seats – over 20 years ago. Sadly, many seats are still from that time and no longer reach today’s standards in other aspects. Especially in the Boeing 747, the seats were extremely narrow. Furthermore, it is unusual that every other seat is facing backward. If you, however, fly in a plane that has the new Club World seats installed, you’ll be flying in a much better product, sometimes even with Suite seats that offer a lot of privacy. A general downside at British Airways: there is no free seat reservation, which is unusual for a business class.
Iberia is one of the few airlines that has the same product across its entire long-haul fleet. A positive is that every seat has direct access to the aisle. The seats which are directly next to the window (in every 2nd row) offer especially high privacy. In total, it’s a very good product, as Travel-Dealz founder Johannes could witness on his short test flight on an A340.
Search & Book
According to the fares rules, these prices are valid until sold out or withdrawn. Based on recent experiences with Oneworld premium fares, we do not expect them to stick around for long. A minimum stay of at least one night from Saturday to Sunday applies.
Searching for multistop flights in mixed cabin classes can be a major pain in the butt. There are three possible options:
- Search Google Flights for cheap business class flights and see if the cheap first class tickets are available on the dates you looked up.
- Search directly on ba.com.
- Use the rather complicated ITA Matrix (tutorial). Using the extension code
f bc=A;alliance oneworldon the leg from Germany to New York should narrow your results and computing time.
Whichever method you select, we strongly recommend purchasing these tickets directly from the airline.
Why is booking with an airline better than with an online travel agency?
More often than not, online travel agencies offer lower fares than airlines do. We still recommend booking with the airlines directly. There are two main reasons for that:
Better Customer Service
In case any problems like delays, cancellations or missed connections arise, you can communicate directly with the airline. The airline has to take care of you because you have a contract with them.
If a travel agency issues your ticket, you may have to reach out to them first. You also depend on your OTA to forward information like flight changes instead of receiving them directly from the airline. In many cases, you may get a prime exhibition of responsibility shifting rather than problem-solving.
This especially applies to premium tickets. You don’t want to spend more than €1,000 to wind up with some budget OTA’s telephone hotline in case anything goes wrong.
Baggage and Other Fees
Economy fares not including hold luggage are industry standard by now. In most cases, travel agencies charge much higher baggage fees than the airlines themselves. If bags are not included in your fare, airlines are often the cheaper alternative.
This also applies to other things like food services, insurances or priority treatment. In almost all cases, you pay less for additional amenities when booking on the airlines’ website.
British Airways issues tickets in the following booking classes:
Jfor European business class
Ifor all other business class segments.
Our example from the screenshot earns Oneworld frequent flyers the following mileage:
Mileage calculation is currently unavailable.
Since your options vary widely, you might be interested in calculating your personal earnings with our mileage calculator: