If you live close to Luxembourg, this deal to South Africa may interest you. For €1,040, Lufthansa and its subsidiary SWISS will fly you to Cape Town in premium economy, including 2x 23 kg of luggage. You can also fly to Johannesburg for €1,056.
Our calendar displays all available dates to both cities and can redirect you to Lufthansa’s booking site:
Both Lufthansa and SWISS use an Airbus A340 for their flights to Cape Town and Johannesburg, respectively. Only the flight from Frankfurt to Johannesburg is operated by a Boeing 747. In some cases, you’ll fly between both South African cities with South African / Airlink instead of getting there directly.
Feel free to take a look at our reviews of both airlines’ premium economy:
- The Emphasis is on “Premium”: Review of the New Swiss Premium Economy
- Review: Premium Economy Class with Lufthansa
Search & Book
The fare rules merely mention a minimum stay requirement of 8 days. You can use our calendar above or Google Flights to find all available dates. You can book these tickets directly on Lufthansa’s website.
The inner-European tickets are issued in booking class Y, while the long-haul flights are issued in booking class N. To give you an example, flying to Cape Town via Frankfurt (and back) would get you:
- 17,836 CV Points on Vistara Club Vistara
- 14,172 Miles on Aegean Miles+Bonus
- 14,172 Points on SAS EuroBonus
- 13,672 Miles on Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles
- 12,672 Miles on Asiana Club
- 12,672 Miles on Ethiopian ShebaMiles
- 12,000 Award Miles + 1,566 PQP on United MileagePlus
- 12,000 Miles on Copa ConnectMiles
- 12,000 Award Miles + 11,890 Tier Miles on Avianca LifeMiles
- 12,000 Miles on Egyptair Plus
- 11,912 Miles on Thai Royal Orchid Plus
- 11,890 Miles on EVA Infinity MileageLands
- 11,890 Miles on Singapore KrisFlyer
- 11,890 Miles on TAP Miles&Go
- 11,890 Award Miles on LATAM Pass
- 11,782 Miles on Air Canada Aeroplan
- 8,388 Miles on ANA Mileage Club
- 3,772 Award Miles + 14,172 Tier Miles on Miles&More
- 3,772 Award Miles + 200 Points on Miles&More 2024
The options are more limited if you fly with SWISS, as their premium economy is rather new and is therefore not yet accepted by many Star Alliance frequent flyer programs. Here’s what you’d get for flying to Johannesburg with SWISS:
- 11,962 Miles on Aegean Miles+Bonus
- 11,662 Points on SAS EuroBonus
- 11,014 Award Miles + 1,610 PQP on United MileagePlus
- 10,922 Miles on Egyptair Plus
- 10,830 Miles on Asiana Club
- 10,830 Miles on Copa ConnectMiles
- 10,830 Miles on EVA Infinity MileageLands
- 10,830 Miles on TAP Miles&Go
- 3,944 Award Miles + 12,962 Tier Miles on Miles&More
- 3,944 Award Miles + 200 Points on Miles&More 2024
- 2,000 Miles on Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles
Information & Tips for South Africa
South Africa is the touristically most visited country in the south of Africa. Whether its Safaris, tours of wine regions or the Table Mountain – visitors won’t be disappointed!
Traditionally, flights from Europa to South Africa have been quite expensive. In recent years however, airlines such as Iberia, Egyptair and British Airways have been offering cheaper and cheaper flights – even in premium cabins! If you are flexible in regards to your point of departure, the array of airlines with cheap tickets becomes even greater.
Best Time to Visit
South Africa is a huge country and therefore doesn’t have a single best time to visit. It really depends on what you want to see. The cities Johannesburg and Cape Town have the best weather in Fall (March – Mai) and Spring (September – November).
Immigration & Visa Requirements
If you have a valid EU passport and a valid return ticket, you will be given a visitor’s visa with a validity of 90 days. Turn to the ministry of foreign affairs of your country for more information.
The currency used in South Africa is the Rand (ZAR). One Euro are approximately 16 ZAR. Make sure to use a credit card that does not charge high fees for withdrawals or payments in foreign currencies.
Finding the Best eSIM Plan
→ All Dealz for South Africa
Cover Picture: Ditmar Lange